Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
Though Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is a general problem, it is more common amongst women than men. This problem becomes serious because many women do not follow the most common protocol to prevent or minimize the chances of UTI. Below we will discuss some home remedies for urinary tract infection or UTI.
Preventive Measures for UTI
- Drink 10-14 glasses of water to protect oneself from urinary infection. Drinking so much water flushes out bacteria and other microorganisms which contaminate the urinary tract.
- Do not suppress the urge to urinate, as it may have dire consequences on your health leading to a fully-developed urinary tract infection.
- Always wipe yourself from front to back, this stops the entry of the bacteria from the anus into the vagina or urethra. After having a bath or a bowel movement, follow this simple rule.
- Take showers instead of bubble bath to prevent entrance of bacteria into the urethra which causes UTI.
- Wash your genital area before and after a sexual intercourse. Also urinate before and after an intercourse. This avoids the transference of bacteria from one partner to another.
- Douching and scented sprays can cause infection and irritation of the vaginal area. These do not help the cause of alleviating the Urinary Tract Infection problem.
- Stay away from caffeine found in coffee, tea, carbonated drinks and chocolates.
- Avoid bladder irritants like citrus, tomatoes, aged cheese, chocolate, spicy food, caffeine, alcohol and nicotine. The irritants may differ for some individuals, but these are some of the common ones.
- Avoid tight underwear as it creates an ideal environment for undesirable bacteria to breed.
- Drink one glass of water for every 10 hours of the day. This will help you keep tab on the amount of water you drink.
Home Remedies for Urinary Tract Infection or UTI
- One of the most popular home remedies for urinary tract infection is to drink cranberry juice. Drinking a good amount of cranberry juice as it is one of the most simple and natural ways of treating urinary tract infection. It prevents as well as heals the infection due to its medicinal properties.
- On the onset of urinary tract symptoms consume vitamin C supplements. It increases the acidity level of urine which helps to decrease the bacteria present in the urinary tract.
- Another home remedy for urinary tract infection is the use of spices.Use of spices like cinnamon and mixture of herbs like buchu, uva ursi and juniper berries can act as antiseptics to clean kidney and bladder.
- You can apply a warm heating pad or hot water bottle on your abdomen to ease the pain.
- Apple cider vinegar and baking soda have also been known to cure UTI. For more great uses of apple cider vinegar read our article Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Check out our store for all your herbal and vitamin needs.
Warning: The reader of this article should exercise all precautionary measures while following instructions on the home remedies from this article. Avoid using any of these products if you are allergic to it. The responsibility lies with the reader and not with the site or the writer.